24 January 2010

How Big is Your Book?: Haiti, Pat Robertson and Religion in America

Jeffrey Weiss writes in Politics Daily some really interesting observations about how very important religion is in America today.  He quotes The Daily Show's Jon Stewart's reply to Pat Robertson as follows:

"Out of all the things you could draw on from your religion to bring comfort to a devastated people and region? Look how big your book is! 'The Lord is close to the broken hearted. He rescues those who are crushed in spirit. Fear thou not, for I am with thee. Be not dismayed, for I am thy God. I will strengthen thee. From the depths of the earth you will again bring me up. Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed, says the Lord who has compassion on you.'

"That almost sounds like it's about a f**** earthquake!"

Stewart, a Jew with no affection for Pat Robertson's style of religion or politics - quotes from Isaiah and the Psalms. You can read the entire article - well worth the read - here

I'm amazed at who quotes comfort in times of unexplainable events.  And of course my question for me is, "Am I bringing comfort, controversy or criticism?" 

Love speaks comfort.

1 comment:

Talk to me!